The following is a step-by-step description of what’s included when a certified Xplornet installer performs a standard fixed wireless installation:
Outside the home or building
Step 1: After locating a suitable line-of-sight to the Access Point, the authorized Xplornet installer will mount the subscriber module to the home or building using a standard mounting bracket.
Step 2: The installer runs one pre-terminated outdoor Ethernet cable, up to 75 feet, from the base of the subscriber module to the point of entry into the home or building.
Step 3a (Canopy, WiMAX or LTE equipment): The installer installs a surge suppressor, preferably on the exterior of the home or building, which will then be grounded according to local regulations.
Step 3b (Expedience equipment): The subscriber module is then grounded according to local regulations.
Step 4: The installer will seal all exterior holes and use drip loops on all exterior cables.
Inside the home or building
Step 5: The installer will run Ethernet cable, up to 50 feet, from the point of entry to the computer’s location in the home or building. Typically, a small hole is required to be drilled in the outside of the wall to allow entrance of the cable.
Step 6: The installer will hookup an AC Power Adapter.
Step 7: The installer will test the system with their laptop to ensure the signal strength is working at the expected service level and Internet browsing is functioning.
Step 8: Finally, the installer will provide you with a Welcome to Xplornet information sheet which contains useful tips and answers to frequently asked questions to help you make the most of your high-speed Internet.
Enhanced Fixed Wireless Installation
Additional charges may apply for any installation work that falls outside a standard fixed wireless installation. This includes, but is not limited to, the following:
- any installation in excess of 50 km round trip from the dealer store to the customer’s location is subject to a fuel surcharge, or for any air or water travel
- PC clean-up, which includes quarantining and/or removing viruses and spyware
- setting up multiple PCs through a router or other Local Area Network (LAN) equipment
- installing network interface cards
- setting up multiple accounts on email client programs such as Outlook or Outlook Express
- running cables in excess of the lengths stated in the basic installation section
- multiple runs of Ethernet cable within the home or building
- mounting the subscriber module on excessive heights (e.g. greater than standard one-story roof)
- installing a pop-up tower or tri-pod and pole to improve line-of-sight
- installation of a reflector dish
- custom routing of outdoor cables below ground (trenching) or away from main home or building
- snow removal or equipment removal from the installation site
- tree or branch cutting to avoid line-of-sight obstructions
Please contact your local authorized Xplornet dealer for more information on Enhanced Installation options and pricing.